Friday, September 18, 2009

First Trip To The ER




As alot of you know, we had to take our 7 week old baby, Braden to Children's ER on Wednesday. When he woke up that morning he felt warm. He refused to eat and was very fussy. He slept most of the morning and would whimper while he slept. The first temperature I took was 101.4, later morning it was 101.7. He was still refusing to eat and when awake would just cry. I called the pediatrician and we got in that afternoon. Once at the pediatrician I explained what how he was acting throughout the morning. The nurse took his temperature and it was 102.6! His body was red all over and so hot. The doctor came in and examined him. She informed me since he is so young and wasn't showing any additional signs of sickness, ie: runny nose, cough, etc., he needed to go to Chidren's Hospital ER! I think I was in shock at that moment. I started shaking and was fighting back tears. This is serious. I left in a hurry and called Keith and my Mom. By this time I was crying. What is wrong with my baby? Why is he running such a high fever!?

Keith was on his way out the door to go to work as I pulled in. We quickly devised a plan. Keith was going to go into work until further notice. Since I'm on maternity leave, he's the only one working right now! My mom was watching Colton and was now going to keep Mason. So my dad went with me to the ER. I didn't want to go by myself, I was a wreck.

In the ER they did a full work up. Braden had his blood drawn, urine specimin, a chest xray, and a spinal. After all the tests were performed he was admitted. Okay ... I wasn't expecting to go from the pediatrician to the ER, and I certainly wasn't expecting Braden to be admitted! I thought he'd be treated and it just may end up being a late night. WRONG!

The doctors initially thought it is either some sort of virus or a bacterial infection. Menengitis was ruled out early which was a relief. Antibiotics were started as a precaution in case it was bacterial. As the labs started coming back they were negative. Though this was good news, it was frustrating because we still didn't have a definitive answer. Meanwhile my baby is spiking a fever of 103.8! At that point he received a dose of Tylenol and was sponged down with cool rags. It was very scary. He is so little, this is dangerous. All we could do was sit and wait on test results while watching our poor child suffer.

By this morning all tests were negative and Braden's fever had declined throughout the night. The doctor determined it was a virus. He said since Braden was beginning to eat well again and his temperature was declining (still around 100-101) we could go home. He and I would be more comfortable at home and I am just to give him Tylenol round the clock to keep his fever down and keep him comfortable. That was good news.

A virus in a little one is still scary because it could turn into something more. Also his immune system isn't completely developed at this age so he is suceptible to other illnesses out there. For now he is doing better. His temperature is currently 101. He is sleeping better since we came home though. I just hope my sweet pea gets better soon!
I must say Thank You to the Doctors and Staff of Children's Hospital for doing such a thorough job. They went above and beyond and were all very kindhearted.

No comments: